Children and Youth
You and your family are important to East Dallas Christian Church. One of the many ways we show our commitment is through an active and ongoing ministry to children and youth. It is our hope that our church provides a nurturing environment to help children fulfill their potential.
Christian Education for Children and Youth
- NURSERY - Just downstairs in the Children's Hallway of the Education Building, you'll find a wonderfully equipped and staffed nursery. This special place is designed for infants up to two years of age. The nursery is available during early worship, Sunday School hour and Sanctuary worship service.
- SUNDAY SCHOOL - Our church offers Sunday School for all ages at 9:30am on Sunday mornings. Children's classes for up to 5th grade are located downstairs in the Children's hallway of the Education Building. Junior High and High School classes are upstairs in the Minyard Building.
- Our curriculum provides a solid long-term plan for teaching the Bible to children ages 2 through 12. We teach key Bible stories and foundational theological concepts. By weaving in music, games, projects, skits and other activities, we make learning fun for children. Our approach is that Sunday School should be an enjoyable experience that encourages children to learn more about God and his love!
- CHILDREN’S CHURCH - Immediately following the Children’s Moment in the 10:50 a.m. Sunday worship service, children from ages 3 thru 4th grade leave the Sanctuary for Children’s Church in the Education Building. There they participate in the Godly Play method of Christian education, using parable, sacred story, liturgical action and crafts. This method helps children become more fully aware of the mystery of God’s presence in their lives and in the world.
- SUMMER CAMP – We strive to send all of our children and youth to church camp during the summer. We camp at Disciples Crossing in Athens, Texas with children and youth from all over DFW and the surrounding area. In addition to age-specific camps for 3rd-12th graders, we have a variety of other offerings from grandparent camp to water sports camp to our new ADDaM (Art, Drama, Dance and Music) Camp! More information: http://www.disciplescrossing.org/sessions-andinfo/
Frequently Asked Questions
- What ages are included in the Children’s Ministry? The EDCC Children’s Ministry serves children from birth through 4th grade.
- Are kids expected to stay in worship? Kids are always welcome in worship, where wiggles are expected, accepted, and often encouraged! We provide an activity sheet called Worship Notes at the front and side doors for children who choose to stay in worship. But, if they (or you) would rather have some space during worship, kids may choose to attend an alternate worship experience that is child-oriented and helps them learn basic worship skills. Children’s Church is offered for children 3 years old through 4th Nursery care is provided for 2yrs and under.
- What do kids do after they leave the sanctuary? In Children’s Church, our children participate in age-appropriate activities to help them learn the Bible Stories. Each week, we use Worship and Wonder to explore the story, sing, pray, have snack, and make a craft.
- Can kids participate in communion? In the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the Lord’s Supper or Communion is celebrated in weekly worship. It is open to all who are followers of Jesus Christ. The practice of Holy Communion has become the central element of worship within the Disciples tradition. At East Dallas, we encourage children to wait until they are baptized to start taking Communion, but it is ultimately up to the parents to decide when their child is able to participate. We do not serve Communion in Children’s Church
- Who’s watching my kids? We practice Safe Sanctuaries in which we are always in groups of three. No child is ever left alone with an unrelated adult. Every children’s ministry program has at least two adult leaders present at all times. All Children’s Ministry volunteers and staff have passed a criminal background check. We have a children-only bathroom located at the end of our Children’s Hall nearest the Sanctuary.
- What if my child has an allergy? We strive to keep a record of all our kids, including emergency contacts, necessary medical information, and a photo release. We would love to have one for your child at any point, but strongly request one when you become regulars. There is a place to note allergies on the Child Permission Form. Please also inform a leader at drop off if your child has allergies. Our snack during Children’s Church is usually goldfish, animal crackers, or Cheez-its.
- Is there childcare during things I might want to attend as an adult? Yes! EDCC has multiple adult Sunday School classes that meet at the same time as our children’s Sunday School. We hope that you will visit them, and we will be happy to connect you with a friendly person to sit with in the class if you would like! For events during the week, please note in the bulletin if child care is provided.
- Am I expected to help out in the kids’ ministry if my child attends? There is no obligation for parents to serve in the children’s ministry...but, there are plenty of ways to get involved if that is something that interests you! Ask a children’s ministry leader to connect you with Allison Drake, our Minister to Children and Youth, or email allison@EDCC.org.
- What if I still have questions? We’re sure you do, and we hope that you will ask! Allison Drake, our Minister to Children and Youth, would love to talk with you more, and even connect over coffee or lunch if you would like. She can be reached through the church office.